Skip to main content

We Wanted A Baby, But Got An Angel


Last Thursday we laid our sweet Hunter to rest. It was a beautiful service. The service began with a prayer and then our nieces and nephews got up and sang, “I Am A Child Of God”.  I couldn’t help but smile as all of Hunter’s cousin stood by him and sang their little hearts out. I could feel Hunter’s presence and I’m sure he was up there singing with them. Nate’s father then stood and gave a beautiful talk. He talked about how this experience has brought us closer together as a family and closer to our Savior. He said that we did not have to be sad for Hunter because he is in a wonderful place. I wish I could remember more details about what he said, but I was pretty emotional. I just remember that I loved everything he said. Nate then stood and dedicated the grave for our son. Tears rolled down my cheeks as Hunter was then lowered into the ground.
My heart ached when I saw the small box sitting in the dirt. I wanted to pull him back up and cradle him in my arms. I wanted to kiss his sweet face and tell him I loved him. I know that his spirit had left his body, but for the past four and a half months his body had grown inside of mine. I had felt him move and I had seen my body change as his body grew. I had once been so nervous about my stomach growing and stretching to provide room for him, but I now felt my empty stomach and felt sick. I missed him. I wanted my baby bump back. I wanted him to still be growing inside of me. I wish my body had been the safe and nourishing place it was supposed to be.
As the service ended Nate and I stood up and walked over to the table that held Hunter’s picture and a vase of flowers. I pulled a flower from the vase and then asked all of the children to come up to get a flower to give to Hunter. All of the kids came to the table and waited patiently to get their flowers. They walked over to the grave and threw their flowers in with Hunter. It was incredibly touching to see such normally active children look somberly at the small box as they dropped their flowers in. Several of them wiped tears from their eyes as they stepped away. I could feel Hunter smiling as his cousins surrounded him.
Leaving the cemetery was especially hard for me. Nate helped me into the car and I began crying uncontrollably as I looked back at Hunter’s grave. I wanted to jump out of the car and run back to him. I didn’t want to leave him, but then I thought to myself that Hunter is still with me. His body is in the ground, but his spirit was with me. I could feel it. I think he was staying nearby to make it easier for Nate and I.
The rest of the day was spent enjoying the company of our family. The kids played football in the cul-de-sac with Nate and our dogs. As they ran around squealing with joy, I imagined another little boy out there with them running and playing with them. I think Hunter was out there with them.
All of the nieces and nephews have a tradition of tying Uncle Nate up when we get together. They used ropes and caution tape to tie Nate up to a tree in Nate’s parents front yard. They all giggled and laughed uncontrollably as they tied his shoelaces together and made sure that he was unable to escape. Nate told our nephew Jeremy that he had really improved his knot tying skills. Jeremy looked at him and said, “Hunter is inspiring me with knots.” When Nate told me this on our car ride home I couldn’t help but smile and tear up. We have a very playful angel boy on our hands if he is already helping his cousins tie his daddy to the tree.
I still wish more than anything that our sweet babies were still with us. I don’t think a day will ever pass that I won’t think about my two angel babies and wish that they were both snuggled safely in my arms. How wonderful that would be. I dream of the day when I go to Heaven and have two sweet spirits waiting for me with open arms. Until then, I have two sweet spirits watching over me.  They each hold a piece of my heart. I am so grateful that even though we said goodbye to our little ones, it will never really be goodbye. They will forever live in my heart and I will make sure they are never forgotten. 








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Again

Wednesday June 22 nd My heart sank as I watched the ultrasound screen. I could tell something was wrong. When I had a 13-week ultrasound with Hunter, he was flipping around and kicking like crazy. He moved so much it was hard to get a clear photo of him. This time our little girl was completely still. Maybe she was asleep. Please, just let her be asleep. I tried to look for the flicker of her heartbeat, yet I couldn’t see anything. The ultrasound tech got a measurement and she was measuring a little small. I could feel my chest tightening and I could hear the sound of my own heartbeat pounding in my ears. I prayed our baby girl would move, but she stayed still.   The ultrasound tech looked at me and softly said she was going to go get the doctor. I knew what that meant and it wasn’t good. The doctor came into the room and confirmed I was having another miscarriage. The room felt like it was spinning. I prayed frantically, begging God to not let this be true. Please just let this be

The Grieving Mother

You see me and I smile. You ask me how I am and I put on a brave face and tell you I am well, even if I’m not. A part of me wishes that I could show you a glimpse of the pain and love I feel, just so you could understand why I will never “get over it”. You would see memories that I play and replay, forever wondering if there was something I could have done to change the outcome-If there was something I could have done to save the lives of my children. If you could have a moment in my shoes, you would feel the aching of my empty arms and the overwhelming sorrow that I feel everyday, being the mom to four angels. If I could give you a peek into my life, you would feel the pain and disbelief as I remember the day I found out I was having a miscarriage for the first time. You would see my second pregnancy come to a devastating end at nineteen weeks and the day I gently placed my son in a casket, kissed his head and slowly closed the lid, knowing that was the last time I would see his

Our "Matching" Story

           We are MATCHED!!! The adoption process so far has been such an incredible experience for Nate and I. A lot of people have been asking me how everything happened, so I thought it would be fun to tell the story of how we got matched. Just in case anyone isn't familiar with the term "matched" this means that we have been chosen by an expectant mother to become the adoptive parents of her child. It is a very exciting step! :) Also, out of respect for the expectant mother's privacy, we will not be giving any identifying information, so please don't be offended if you ask us a question and we choose not to answer. The best Christmas gift I could have ever dreamed of.         About a month a half ago, we received a message from an expectant mother. We had already spoken with a few other expectant mothers and while they were all amazing, something felt different as we spoke with this expectant mother. The conversation flowed easily and we had a lot in comm