Skip to main content

Baby Madsen Does It Again!


Playing sports for most of my life has left me no stranger to pain. I have been elbowed in the face, kicked in the shin, and gotten many nasty bruises. I have had torn muscles and broken bones, but nothing could have prepared me for the pain I felt on Sunday.
I started having small contractions Saturday night. Nate and I were on the couch and I kept feeling small twinges. I thought they were stretching pains, but I noticed my abdomen was tightening. It didn’t hurt all that badly so I took a couple of Tylenol and went to bed. Throughout the night I woke up every few hours because the twinges started to get worse. I finally got up around 5:30 Sunday morning because I couldn’t ignore the pain anymore. It wasn’t terrible. It was just very uncomfortable. I hadn’t been sure before if they were contractions or not, but the pain started getting more intense and they were getting closer together. There was no denying that these were contractions.
Nate came out on the couch with me and I let him know I was having contractions. I asked him to start keeping track of how far apart they were. They were every few minutes and when I told him the contractions were getting worse he told me we needed to call the doctor. I had been holding off because I was hoping they would stop. The doctor told us to go straight to labor and delivery and that he would be at the hospital shortly. For the second time in two weeks, we headed up to the hospital.
By the time we got to the hospital, I could no longer speak through the pain. All I could do was close my eyes and pray that it would end soon. The contractions were lasting longer and my stomach was hard as a rock. They took me up to my room and got me into bed. The nurse began strapping a monitor around my stomach to track contractions and I noticed my stomach looked lopsided. The left side of my lower abdomen was sticking out much further then the right side. I started to freak out and ask the nurse why my stomach looked like that. She told me it was because the baby was moving down to be born. Tears filled my eyes. I wasn’t ready for this. My baby wasn’t ready to be born. I held on to Nate and wished for everything to stop. He laid his hands on my head and gave me a blessing. I listened carefully to his words and found peace through the pain.
The doctor came in and preformed an ultrasound. The ultrasound revealed that our baby’s head was now pointing down. He told us the baby was getting ready to come and there was nothing they could do at this point to stop it. He said that 95% of his job was fun and exciting, but this was the 5% that made his job hard. He apologized to us and told us they would take pictures of the baby for us after the birth. He told us we didn’t have to see them if it was too hard for us. I told him I wanted them. He asked us if we wanted to see and hold the baby after the delivery. I nodded and told him I wanted to. I wanted the chance to hold my beautiful baby in my arms. This would be the only chance I would have in this life.
The contractions kept getting more painful and they began lasting longer. Nate told me to squeeze his hand as hard as I needed to. My mother-in-law Jo Anne was with us and had begun calling family to let them know what was going on. I tried to stay strong, but I began crying and telling Nate I didn’t want to do this. I could handle the pain if it meant I was going to be able to have a healthy baby. I couldn’t handle the pain knowing we were going to go home with empty arms and broken hearts.
I was finally given painkillers through my IV, but they hardly did anything. The pain was blinding. I tried to focus on my breathing. In through my nose, out through my mouth. The nurse told me I could ask for more painkillers because they wanted to make sure I was comfortable. I think I was given about four doses in twenty minutes. My world was spinning. I couldn’t focus. Words came out jumbled and I don’t think I made sense. I was so tired. I had already been in labor for several hours and I just wanted to sleep. I started to doze off, but as soon as I’d found some peace, the awful pain of a contraction awakened me. I wanted to scream. Instead I clenched my teeth and squeezed Nate’s hand. The painkillers took the edge off, but I was in more pain then I had ever been.
I began getting used to the medication and I was able to carry on a conversation between contractions. I asked Jo Anne to get information about burial plots. We decided to bury our baby in Nate’s hometown. I wondered what a service would be like for a baby like ours. Would we ask for someone to speak? What would they say? We didn’t have any funny stories or memories about our baby’s life. Our baby’s life was going to end before it had even begun. This wasn’t supposed to happen this way.
The doctor came in again to check on me. I wasn’t dilated yet, but he said with as severe as my contractions were and the position of the baby, it was only a matter of time before our baby made its arrival. The nurse came in about 20 minutes later and I was one centimeter dilated. She checked the baby’s heart beat and let us know it was getting lower. My contractions were stronger, longer, and closer together. She said that meant we were getting closer to delivery. The doctor said I had most likely developed an infection and this was my body’s response. The doctor went over the different outcomes. I could have a normal delivery if everything went well. If I began to bleed heavily, I would need a blood transfusion and they would take me into surgery. I prayed for a normal delivery. He had the nurse give me antibiotics and told me he would be back in three or four hours to check in.
Over the next few hours I drifted in and out of an uneasy sleep. I talked with my mom on the phone and talked with Nate and Jo Anne. If I ever needed anything, Jo Anne would run out to the nurses to let them know. Nate sat by my side and held my hand. Every once in a while I’d ask him to lay down with me. I’d scoot over to the edge of the bed so he could squeeze in. I’d snuggle up next to him and doze off. I was exhausted. The nurse had to come in frequently to check on the baby and I. I would wait anxiously to hear our baby’s heart beat every hour.
My contractions and become less intense around 3 o’clock. They were farther apart and I could breath more easily when they came. The nurse came in to check the baby’s heart rate and said it was sounding much stronger. By the time the doctor came back, the contractions were almost non-existent. He couldn’t believe it. He kept shaking his head in disbelief. I had been in labor for most of the day and then everything had stopped. He wanted to keep me through the night to monitor how things went.
Sleeping peacefully in a hospital in impossible. Every couple of hours the night nurse would come in to check my blood pressure and IV. The only thing I enjoyed was when she would check the baby’s heart rate. I couldn’t help but smile every time I heard the beating of my baby’s heart. Through everything my little one was fighting to hold on. I had to stay strong.
Monday morning arrived. I wasn’t in much pain, but the painkillers from the day before left my head feeling foggy. Breakfast consisted of jello, broth, and juice. Oh goody... Someone came in to draw some blood. Thank goodness it only took one try. The day before they had to poke me five times before they got any blood.
The doctor came in and let me know I could go home. The baby was stable once again to everyone’s surprise. I got dressed and they brought in a wheelchair to take me to the car. On the ride home I thought about what a beautiful day it was. For now, everything was ok.
 Twice, we have been told we our baby is going to die and twice our baby has pulled through. My baby is a fighter. My baby also has one heck of a guardian angel.  I will not lose hope and I will not lose faith. I will stay positive and keep praying for my baby. I am grateful for each day that I get to carry my little one. I can’t believe I have been blessed with such a miracle baby.
My hero


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Again

Wednesday June 22 nd My heart sank as I watched the ultrasound screen. I could tell something was wrong. When I had a 13-week ultrasound with Hunter, he was flipping around and kicking like crazy. He moved so much it was hard to get a clear photo of him. This time our little girl was completely still. Maybe she was asleep. Please, just let her be asleep. I tried to look for the flicker of her heartbeat, yet I couldn’t see anything. The ultrasound tech got a measurement and she was measuring a little small. I could feel my chest tightening and I could hear the sound of my own heartbeat pounding in my ears. I prayed our baby girl would move, but she stayed still.   The ultrasound tech looked at me and softly said she was going to go get the doctor. I knew what that meant and it wasn’t good. The doctor came into the room and confirmed I was having another miscarriage. The room felt like it was spinning. I prayed frantically, begging God to not let this be true. Please just let this be

The Grieving Mother

You see me and I smile. You ask me how I am and I put on a brave face and tell you I am well, even if I’m not. A part of me wishes that I could show you a glimpse of the pain and love I feel, just so you could understand why I will never “get over it”. You would see memories that I play and replay, forever wondering if there was something I could have done to change the outcome-If there was something I could have done to save the lives of my children. If you could have a moment in my shoes, you would feel the aching of my empty arms and the overwhelming sorrow that I feel everyday, being the mom to four angels. If I could give you a peek into my life, you would feel the pain and disbelief as I remember the day I found out I was having a miscarriage for the first time. You would see my second pregnancy come to a devastating end at nineteen weeks and the day I gently placed my son in a casket, kissed his head and slowly closed the lid, knowing that was the last time I would see his

Our "Matching" Story

           We are MATCHED!!! The adoption process so far has been such an incredible experience for Nate and I. A lot of people have been asking me how everything happened, so I thought it would be fun to tell the story of how we got matched. Just in case anyone isn't familiar with the term "matched" this means that we have been chosen by an expectant mother to become the adoptive parents of her child. It is a very exciting step! :) Also, out of respect for the expectant mother's privacy, we will not be giving any identifying information, so please don't be offended if you ask us a question and we choose not to answer. The best Christmas gift I could have ever dreamed of.         About a month a half ago, we received a message from an expectant mother. We had already spoken with a few other expectant mothers and while they were all amazing, something felt different as we spoke with this expectant mother. The conversation flowed easily and we had a lot in comm