Skip to main content

Beautiful Baby Boy


On July 1st I sat anxiously staring at a pregnancy test. I was a day late, but I didn’t want to get my hopes up. The longer I stared at the test, the more my heart sank. Nothing was happening. I was about to throw it in the garbage when a faint line began to appear. I squinted my eyes and looked more closely. Was I imagining things or was there really a second blue line? I held it up closer to the light and sure enough, a second blue line was there. My breath caught in my throat. I was pregnant...
I slowly walked out of the bathroom, still holding the test. I kept looking at it while I walked out to the living room. I put the test behind my back as I walked up to Nate. He looked up at me from his spot on the couch and smiled. I pulled the test from behind my back as a smile crept onto my face. “No way”, he said as he grabbed the test to look. He pulled me close as tears of joys rolled down my face. “We’re going to have a baby”, I whispered.
Over the next several weeks we told family and our close friends. I didn’t want to get too excited since my last pregnancy had ended in a miscarriage. I thought if I kept from getting too excited, it would hurt less if we lost the baby. If you know me, then you know I’m not very good at containing my excitement. I was ecstatic! I spent my days imagining what our baby would be like. Would our baby be a boy or a girl? What would our baby look like? What kind of personality would he or she have? Would our baby be sassy like me or sweet like Nate? The more I thought about our baby, the more excited I got.
The further I got into the pregnancy the more Nate and I thought our baby was a boy. We began calling him Hunter and Nate talked about how he and Hunter were going to be buds. I told Nate I was so sure our baby was a boy; I thought I should just start buying boy clothes. As soon as Hunter was born, I asked the nurse if we had a boy or girl. I can’t say either one of us were surprised when she told us we had a boy.
Even after we were told our chances of having a healthy baby were slim to none, we continued to plan for healthy and happy baby. I got on pinterest and found cute quilt ideas and my mother-in-law and I began to make a quilt. We called Nate’s sister and asked her to take maternity photos. I spent hours on pinterest looking at nurseries and newborn photos to get ideas. I did not allow myself to think of anything but a positive outcome. I was devastated when we did not get the happy ending we desired.
When you lose a baby, you don’t just grieve over the death of your child. You grieve over the loss of hopes and dreams you once had. Nate and I had imagined a whole life for Hunter. We had so many plans for when he arrived. We had so much love for this little baby that we hadn’t even met. Friends and family told me I would love our baby even more when he arrived. They were right. The moments I had with Hunter were the most beautiful and perfect moments I have ever experienced in my life. I was holding one of Heaven’s newest angels in my arms. Although Hunter’s arrival was heartbreaking, I was so happy to meet our son, even it was too early. He was beautiful. His sweet face mesmerized me. I could have held him forever. 
Nate and I didn't plan on posting pictures of Hunter, but after talking we decided to share a few of our favorites. I hope that no one takes offense to these images and that you do not see them has a morbid reminder of what has happened. Having these photos has been an incredible blessing to us. I look at them every single day and I will treasure them for the rest of my life. I hope you all enjoy these precious photos of our beautiful baby boy. 
Our Perfect Little Boy

The cutest feet I have ever seen!


Mama's Boy <3

Finger Toes

Comments

  1. So, so beautiful! You have endured this with grace, love, and so much strength. Thank you for letting us share in your journey and see these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are so beautiful! Thank you for sharing! To me they are a tender reminder of the beauty and miracle of pregnancy and birth. He is so handsome. Thanks for sharing your tender story. I think of you and pray for you often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Again

Wednesday June 22 nd My heart sank as I watched the ultrasound screen. I could tell something was wrong. When I had a 13-week ultrasound with Hunter, he was flipping around and kicking like crazy. He moved so much it was hard to get a clear photo of him. This time our little girl was completely still. Maybe she was asleep. Please, just let her be asleep. I tried to look for the flicker of her heartbeat, yet I couldn’t see anything. The ultrasound tech got a measurement and she was measuring a little small. I could feel my chest tightening and I could hear the sound of my own heartbeat pounding in my ears. I prayed our baby girl would move, but she stayed still.   The ultrasound tech looked at me and softly said she was going to go get the doctor. I knew what that meant and it wasn’t good. The doctor came into the room and confirmed I was having another miscarriage. The room felt like it was spinning. I prayed frantically, begging God to not let this be true. Please just let this be

The Grieving Mother

You see me and I smile. You ask me how I am and I put on a brave face and tell you I am well, even if I’m not. A part of me wishes that I could show you a glimpse of the pain and love I feel, just so you could understand why I will never “get over it”. You would see memories that I play and replay, forever wondering if there was something I could have done to change the outcome-If there was something I could have done to save the lives of my children. If you could have a moment in my shoes, you would feel the aching of my empty arms and the overwhelming sorrow that I feel everyday, being the mom to four angels. If I could give you a peek into my life, you would feel the pain and disbelief as I remember the day I found out I was having a miscarriage for the first time. You would see my second pregnancy come to a devastating end at nineteen weeks and the day I gently placed my son in a casket, kissed his head and slowly closed the lid, knowing that was the last time I would see his

Our "Matching" Story

           We are MATCHED!!! The adoption process so far has been such an incredible experience for Nate and I. A lot of people have been asking me how everything happened, so I thought it would be fun to tell the story of how we got matched. Just in case anyone isn't familiar with the term "matched" this means that we have been chosen by an expectant mother to become the adoptive parents of her child. It is a very exciting step! :) Also, out of respect for the expectant mother's privacy, we will not be giving any identifying information, so please don't be offended if you ask us a question and we choose not to answer. The best Christmas gift I could have ever dreamed of.         About a month a half ago, we received a message from an expectant mother. We had already spoken with a few other expectant mothers and while they were all amazing, something felt different as we spoke with this expectant mother. The conversation flowed easily and we had a lot in comm