Skip to main content

Two Blue Lines


I have had this fantasy about finding out I was pregnant again. I would take a pregnancy test, get two blue lines and then surprise Nate in some cute and creative way. We would be nervous, but incredibly excited. The pregnancy would go smoothly and then we would have a beautiful and healthy baby. I know that having another child will never replace Hunter, but I believe it could help heal our broken hearts and fill our life with joy.
Last Friday I woke up and I felt a flutter of excitement. I had a feeling that I was pregnant. The last time I had that feeling, I found out I was pregnant with Hunter. I didn’t want to get my hopes up, but as the day wore on and my period didn’t start I couldn’t help but get more excited. As soon as I got off of work I ran to the store to buy a pregnancy test and a Valentines card for Nate. I knew it was a little early to test, but as soon as I got home I took it. I tried to be calm as I washed my hands. I didn’t peek at the test for a full three minutes! (This is harder then it sounds) I looked at the test and there it was. Two blue lines. (That is a positive test for those of you who haven’t taken a hundred pregnancy tests like I have.)
I checked the test over and over again just to be sure. Was this real life? We weren’t even trying to get pregnant. I didn’t want to get pregnant for several more months. Even though it was unexpected I couldn’t contain my excitement. I was bursting with happiness. I placed my hand on my belly and the empty feeling that I’ve had for the past four months since Hunter passed away vanished. My favorite thing about pregnancy is the fullness and purpose that I feel as I carry a new life. I love that I am never alone because I have my little baby growing inside of me.
I only had thirty minutes until Nate came home so there wasn’t much time to be super crafty. I ended up grabbing the Valentines card that I had just purchased and wrote, “I love you so much baby! I am completely crazy about you and I know our baby will be too. I’M PREGNANT!!!” I slipped it into the envelope and waited anxiously for him to come home. When he walked through the door my heart skipped a beat and I did my best to act nonchalant. I handed him the envelope casually and he smiled as he started reading. He looked confused for a split second and then looked up and said, “WHAT? No way!!!” It was honestly one of the most amazing moments. We hugged each other and he touched my stomach and told our baby how excited we were to meet him or her.
The next couple of days were filled with a rollercoaster of emotions. I was excited at the thought of having a baby, but I also felt guilty for being so excited. In some ways I felt like I was abandoning Hunter. Another part of me was sad because I had to accept that this new baby wasn’t Hunter. I was also terrified to lose this baby. Each night I fell into an uneasy sleep and had nightmares of having a miscarriage. They were vivid and awful. I would wake up in tears and stay awake for hours convincing myself that this pregnancy was meant to be. It had to be. I mean, it happened even though we didn’t mean to get pregnant.
Our excitement was short lived when three short days later my nightmares started becoming reality. I started to spot. I once again found myself on my knees begging and pleading for Heavenly Father to spare my baby’s life. How was it possible for this to be happening again? I was only four and a half weeks, but I was already in love with this new baby growing inside of me. I wanted so much more then four and a half weeks. I wanted a lifetime of happiness and memories. It became obvious that the happy ending we wanted so badly wasn’t going to happen when I woke up cramping and bleeding on Tuesday morning. I walked back to bed and woke Nate up to tell him I was having a miscarriage. We once again found ourselves holding each other and mourning the loss of another child.
I do not know why this had to happen again. I am sad, confused and to be completely honest, I am angry that things aren’t going the way I want them to. This doesn’t seem fair, but I know that this is happening for a reason. I visited my doctor on Wednesday and he scheduled me for a series of tests to try and pinpoint the cause for these losses. I go in for three hours of blood work next Wednesday and hopefully we find out the reason for these miscarriages. If the blood work doesn’t give us answers, then they will continue doing tests until we get the answers that we need in order to have a healthy pregnancy.
 This is a hard journey to be on and I am so grateful for the wonderful support system that Nate and I have. It has been so incredible to feel so much love and support from everyone around us. This is not an easy journey and no one should have to go through it alone. Those who have shared their story with me have immensely blessed my life and I hope and pray that by sharing our story we can touch the lives of others. Please pray for us as we try to find the answers that will help us have a healthy baby because as wonderful as angel babies are, I really hope that we don’t have anymore!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Again

Wednesday June 22 nd My heart sank as I watched the ultrasound screen. I could tell something was wrong. When I had a 13-week ultrasound with Hunter, he was flipping around and kicking like crazy. He moved so much it was hard to get a clear photo of him. This time our little girl was completely still. Maybe she was asleep. Please, just let her be asleep. I tried to look for the flicker of her heartbeat, yet I couldn’t see anything. The ultrasound tech got a measurement and she was measuring a little small. I could feel my chest tightening and I could hear the sound of my own heartbeat pounding in my ears. I prayed our baby girl would move, but she stayed still.   The ultrasound tech looked at me and softly said she was going to go get the doctor. I knew what that meant and it wasn’t good. The doctor came into the room and confirmed I was having another miscarriage. The room felt like it was spinning. I prayed frantically, begging God to not let this be true. Please just let this be

The Grieving Mother

You see me and I smile. You ask me how I am and I put on a brave face and tell you I am well, even if I’m not. A part of me wishes that I could show you a glimpse of the pain and love I feel, just so you could understand why I will never “get over it”. You would see memories that I play and replay, forever wondering if there was something I could have done to change the outcome-If there was something I could have done to save the lives of my children. If you could have a moment in my shoes, you would feel the aching of my empty arms and the overwhelming sorrow that I feel everyday, being the mom to four angels. If I could give you a peek into my life, you would feel the pain and disbelief as I remember the day I found out I was having a miscarriage for the first time. You would see my second pregnancy come to a devastating end at nineteen weeks and the day I gently placed my son in a casket, kissed his head and slowly closed the lid, knowing that was the last time I would see his

Our "Matching" Story

           We are MATCHED!!! The adoption process so far has been such an incredible experience for Nate and I. A lot of people have been asking me how everything happened, so I thought it would be fun to tell the story of how we got matched. Just in case anyone isn't familiar with the term "matched" this means that we have been chosen by an expectant mother to become the adoptive parents of her child. It is a very exciting step! :) Also, out of respect for the expectant mother's privacy, we will not be giving any identifying information, so please don't be offended if you ask us a question and we choose not to answer. The best Christmas gift I could have ever dreamed of.         About a month a half ago, we received a message from an expectant mother. We had already spoken with a few other expectant mothers and while they were all amazing, something felt different as we spoke with this expectant mother. The conversation flowed easily and we had a lot in comm