Skip to main content

Keegan Wayne Madsen

The Call

I startled awake at the sound of my phone ringing loudly. It was 3:10 a.m. and my heart jumped when I saw the name on the screen. It was Shannon's mom. Shannon is Keegan's amazing birth mom. I answered the call as excitement built in my chest at the sound of her voice. "It's time hun! We are on our way to the hospital now." Nate and I bolted out of bed and changed quickly. Nate's parents were visiting us, so we let them know the news and ran out the door. Our son was on his way!

It's Baby Time!

We arrived at the hospital around 5:30 a.m. and greeted Shannon and her mom. Nate's parents met us at the hospital a fews hours later and were able to meet Shannon and her mom for the first time. The next nine hours were filled with lots of talking, laughing, tears and uncertainty. Her labor was progressing regularly, but as her contractions strengthened, the doctor noticed Keegan's heart rate was dropping. They monitored her closely and noted signs of distress. The doctor went over his concerns and suspected that the cord was wrapped around the baby's neck. They prepared Shannon for a c-section and wheeled her to the operating room where they ended up putting her under general anesthesia. They told us it would take approximately 45 minutes to preform the surgery so we all sat in the hospital room anxiously waiting to hear if everything was ok with Shannon and Keegan.

Time seemed to crawl. Hospital machines beeped in the background. The muffled whisperings of the nurses outside the door drifted in. I prayed that Shannon and the baby would be healthy and that the C-Section would go smoothly, but my mind went through worst case scenarios. After four losses, I will admit that I am a little jaded when it comes to pregnancy and fear got the best of me. I was lost in thought when the hospital room door opened and I looked up as a nurse pushed a bassinet into view. Nate and I stood up and all I saw was a head full of dark hair.

We walked slowly toward the bassinet and my hand covered my mouth as I got closer and saw Keegan's face for the first time. He was perfect. Tears ran uncontrollably down my face. He wiggled in the bassinet and looked around curiously. I asked if I could hold him and they had me change into a hospital gown so we could have skin-to-skin contact. Nate carried him over to me and laid him on my chest. My heart was bursting with love for this little miracle. I buried my face in his hair and cried into the blankets he was wrapped in. He cooed and nuzzled into me. I could feel the beating of his little heart against my chest and I knew without a doubt that he was my son and that I would do absolutely anything for him. It was like a warm light touched my soul and spread throughout my body as I held him close.





Adoption Is LOVE

Adopting has been far more bittersweet than I could have ever imagined.Shannon and her mom became a part of our family and welcomed us into their family with open arms. I have never met two stronger women in my whole life. I witnessed the most beautiful sacrifice as Shannon held Keegan and said goodbye with tears sliding down her cheeks before placing him in my arms. I knew that she was selflessly breaking her own heart by choosing adoption. It is hard to describe the kind of feelings of love and respect you develop for the woman who chooses you to be the mother of her child.





Welcome Home Baby Boy

Keegan has only been home for twelve days, but I can't imagine life without him. He has changed our lives in the best way. After years of painful silence, he fills the house with his joyful noises and I adore every moment with him. If there is one thing our losses have taught me, it is that life is precious and none of these sweet moments can be taken for granted. Welcome to the family little Keegan! You were worth the wait.











Comments

  1. Beautiful story Lauren thank you for sharing such a personal part of your life with us. It has brought me so much joy to read this story today. I am going to go give my son a big hug and kiss.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Again

Wednesday June 22 nd My heart sank as I watched the ultrasound screen. I could tell something was wrong. When I had a 13-week ultrasound with Hunter, he was flipping around and kicking like crazy. He moved so much it was hard to get a clear photo of him. This time our little girl was completely still. Maybe she was asleep. Please, just let her be asleep. I tried to look for the flicker of her heartbeat, yet I couldn’t see anything. The ultrasound tech got a measurement and she was measuring a little small. I could feel my chest tightening and I could hear the sound of my own heartbeat pounding in my ears. I prayed our baby girl would move, but she stayed still.   The ultrasound tech looked at me and softly said she was going to go get the doctor. I knew what that meant and it wasn’t good. The doctor came into the room and confirmed I was having another miscarriage. The room felt like it was spinning. I prayed frantically, begging God to not let this be true. Please just let this be

The Grieving Mother

You see me and I smile. You ask me how I am and I put on a brave face and tell you I am well, even if I’m not. A part of me wishes that I could show you a glimpse of the pain and love I feel, just so you could understand why I will never “get over it”. You would see memories that I play and replay, forever wondering if there was something I could have done to change the outcome-If there was something I could have done to save the lives of my children. If you could have a moment in my shoes, you would feel the aching of my empty arms and the overwhelming sorrow that I feel everyday, being the mom to four angels. If I could give you a peek into my life, you would feel the pain and disbelief as I remember the day I found out I was having a miscarriage for the first time. You would see my second pregnancy come to a devastating end at nineteen weeks and the day I gently placed my son in a casket, kissed his head and slowly closed the lid, knowing that was the last time I would see his